Monday, November 1, 2010

The Challenge

This week's blog question pertains to academic challenges. What is a particular challenge that sticks out to me at the moment? I think one challenge is gaging what to focus on and what cn be put on the back burner when I read my tex books. Being in the health field, there is A LOT of useful information to retain. However, not all of us in the Health Sciences school are here to become medical assistants, or nurses. I am here to complete a degree in Health Information Technology. Many of the concepts in my studies will have little or no value to me in my career. I can't always predict what exactly I will need to know, but I can get a feel of what may be the ideas and facts that I should be paying the closest attention to. For instance, I am currently taking Pharmacology. In my text, it explains how to administer medication intravenously. This is essential to a nursing student, but probably not helpful to someone in my area. I also have taken a medical terminology class, which will come in handy at some point in the future. I guess it all boils down to there will never be a one-size-fits-all course of study, and that we have to learn to discern the what is going to be the most beneficial areas to focus on, and to ditch the rest....as long as we learn enough to pass the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment